Sunday, November 28, 2010

the unknown

I’m back in the biggest city of the most violent non-warring country in the world, I’m alone, and it’s getting dark. But the tree begs to be climbed. Its branches hang low and strong, crossing each other to form a ladder that leads up and out on stretched limbs sprouting bright plastic leaves.

The city is preparing for night. Doors open and close abruptly. Footsteps quicken. I grab the lowest branch and pull myself up into the safety of cradled sky. Or so I think.

As I step into the tree a car stops. At a four way intersection. And stays there. I can feel them watching me though I can’t see their faces, like the hermit crabs at the beach somehow know when you’re near. I don’t move. I have no shell. We both wait. For a few minutes. Then I jump down. Actually I check to make sure there’s no glass under me and cup a limb between my hands and hang and drop. I start walking immediately upon impact. My left foot hurts a bit but I wait until I get to the street lamp to make sure it’s not bleeding. Another car pulls out in front and the one watching me must pass. They have to. Otherwise everyone would notice. Or maybe it was nothing at all.

No comments: